The historic "Panther City" moniker was given by Robert E. Cowart in the early 1900's in an attempt to insult the city of Fort Worth. The citizens turned the term around to show the strength of the city after coming back from rough financial times. They redefined it, and from then on it means: Strong. Untiring. Prosperous. United. Fort Worth. We are Panther City.